Saturday, December 15, 2012

Farewell SLC

To all my followers out there:

Today marks the end of a chapter and the beginning of a new one.  If I were an author breaking up my life into chapters/sequels, this would be the breakdown:

Book 1

Chapter 1: Gradeschool K-12, foundation of best friends that I will have forever and beyond.  These people include (but are not limited to) Sam, Patrick, Josh, Andrew, Crystal, Melissa, Chris, Edward, Tara, Leslie and Camille.  Before we spent countless of hours doing what teens do best, creating & re-creating drama, hours and hours of phone conversations, sluffing classes (wow, I haven't used that word in years), and everything in between.  We now travel together, share new experiences together, and help each other through the most difficult times.  I trust these people with everything. Part time job: lifeguard.  Hobbies:  swimming, water polo, hiking, ice skating, baking brownies, dances, movies, choir, tennis, chess, archery, running, modern dance, piano.

Chapter 2: University life as an undergraduate, I was very distant at school.  I had Seaver with me everywhere, the most thoughtful, efficient, smart and practical man... what a great time we had.  Commutes to school just made it that much harder to stay engaged at school, but somehow I had my AASA fam (Tricia, Esther, John, Rumany, Dana, An, Lammy, Sandy, Peter, Lisa Z, Mary, Tien, and the boys).  That kept me connected and opened up my world to, what I call, the Asian Era.  It was so much easier to relate to APIAs, a population I didn't know existed until I got to college.  Parties, volunteering, conferences/conventions, organizations, and big events were the most enjoyable with this group!  Part time job: Walgreens Beauty Advisor.  Hobbies:  eating out, DIYs/thrifty spender, sleeping, anime/manga, taking walks.  I started getting closer to Catherine in this chapter.

Chapter 3:  Graduate program, sweat and tears dedicated to hours and hours of studying, presentations, thesis, fieldwork, and prepping for Boards.  This is where I moved from student organizations to community organizations-- a whole different animal.  I started my own non-profit organization, the Young Asian American Professionals. My best friends in OT school were Erin, Tina, Katharine, Cindy, Steve H and Bryan G.   My organization and lifelong mentors were Michael, Ze, Robert, Eunice, Roger and Lavanya.  I spent the majority of my time with Bryan, a kind, playful and caring soul who did everything to make me happy and our relationship thrive... and indeed, we were happy together.  Catherine and I became close as we did double dates together quite often.  It was most enjoyable to have Danny around with the 3 of us.  Other very close friends include Lucas, Bryawna, Deena, Hai, Dieu, and Rich, to name a few.  Part time job:  applying for scholarships.  Hobbies:  socialite, swimming, interactive video games (rockband, guitar hero, etc), anime, party planning, building up a tickling tolerance, taking pictures with friends.

Book 2

Chapter 1:  Beginning of a new start in my career after 7 years of college, 18 semesters straight (including summers), and one fantastic vacation in Korea and Taiwan later, I decide to be a full-time Per Diem therapist at Legacy Village Transitional Rehab working with classmates (now colleagues) Andriana and Katharine, Sandy Health and Rehab with fantastic co-workers like Steve, Priscilla, Victor, Maria, Nikki, Bobby, and many others, and at Aspen Ridge West with colleague Amy.  3 jobs, 60+ hours a week, and one tough will to save money later, I pay off all my student loans in a matter of 7 months.  After being single and dating for a few months (the longest I've ever been single... but it's really fun!), Tommy came into my life with laughter, adoration and many common hobbies and interests to explore together with all the new-found time I had away from school.  I was able to become closer to my family than I ever was before, as I found out my parents wisdom exceeded all other advice.  Catherine and I graduated together, traveled together, and are career-women together, making us inseparable.  I became comfortable with myself and struggle to become the best person I can be for myself and not for others.  I became close with new friends (which were mostly female!  A new development from the past) such as Lena,  Suzanna, Erin, Cindy, Angee, Khanh, Tara, Christina, and many others.  Full time job:  Occupational Therapy Practitioner.  Part time job:  organization leader, advocate, mentor to future OT students, networker.  Hobbies:  rock climbing, aerial silk dancing, cook, organizer/manager, abusing hair color, underestimating effects of aging.  Mother of:  VW Passat, Acer Aspire V5, pet named Bamboo, and some extra poundage.  Baggage:  phone bill, car bill, hair dye services.

Chapter 2:  The changing of jobs from having 100% control over your work schedule to selling my services/clinical skills for better opportunities, benefits, and insurance.  Now at 26, the book continues to grow but in a very different setting:  Los Angeles, California.  Fond farewells make this change bittersweet, as I have established my foundation and roots into the Salt Lake community, in Asian, professional, and friendship communities amongst others.  This chapter is to be continued...


I am so fortunate to have so many loved ones in my life that genuinely care about me.  I know my story is nothing like the Life of Pi, but it's an adventure and journey that has made me who I am today.  I appreciate everyone in my life and I cannot express how deeply moved I am from your influences on me.

Below are pictures from the farewell festivities.  Thank you to all those who made it out... you have no idea how much it meant to me!
















































1 comment: