Thursday, December 19, 2013

1 Year of Traveling

Today marks my 1 year anniversary of traveling.  In October of 2012, I decided to start traveling.  My goal was a minimum of a year.  It wasn't until November did I solidify my plans, quit my job, and make a road trip out to the west coast and made a touchdown in LA on December 18.

Los Angeles is a rough but wonderful place.  Very busy and overwhelming to the traveling resident.  Lots of people, fast paced and expensive were my first impressions.  Upon living there, some of my favorite things were:

- The number of Asians and friends I instantaneously had
- My favorite girls: Dora, Lisa & Jen who became my best friends there
- The wide variety of food readily available, all of it tasting delicious and at affordable prices
- The availability to treat yourself- no, not just to food, but to parks/exercise, spas, tourism, etc.
- Night life
- Frequent visits from friends back home
- My first friend, Julia, will always be in my heart as the first day we both started becoming traveling therapists.

I really was so opposed to leaving LA.  I really really really wanted to stay.  But as my goal, I pressed forward.

On April 18, I carried a duffle bag, back pack, and two check-in bags to Hilo.  Hilo is a town.  A small town.  Going from LA to a small town was quite a culture shock.  I hated it at first- everything closed at 8pm, speed limit was at max 35 mph, quality of living space is mediocre, food is expensive to say the least and everything was old.  Upon living there, some of my favorite things turned out to be:

- Most forms of entertainment were free
- Aloha-friendly people
- I learned to appreciate the sun and good weather more
- I love rain... (I just hope I don't go into depression)
- Farmer's market for food
- Cooking with limited resources
- My first friend, Briana, picking me up from the airport and letting me live with her for a month
- My unexpected boyfriend, who I am grateful to have in my life to this day
- Humidity for the health of my skin (and the sun, which does the opposite for my skin ><)

I was torn about leaving Hilo, for I loved all the people there, but the terrain was rough for me.  Not necessarily the weather, but the cost of living.  I guess I'm too pa-ke to live in Hawaii.  I was never happy because of my financial situation.  I felt like everything cost an arm and a leg, and nothing would help me stay afloat (even with Saul treating me so much!  Love you <3 forward.="" i="" nbsp="" p="" pressed="" till="">
A few months went by and I remained at home in Utah for a lengthy period of time.  Life was so carefree and easy- work on occasion, relax at home, clean/cook/bake daily, visit with friends, work on my physique.  Family matters held me at home and I felt the need to stay, for I couldn't leave it to unfinished business.  However, as things patched up and fell into place, I felt anxious once again.  Anxious to learn and work, then also anxious about money.  I was spending but had very little income.  The work at home wasn't enough to satisfy.  So, I left again, despite my efforts to find a contract to stay home for the holidays.

I am now finishing out my year long goal in Santa Barbara.  Man, were the first impressions harsh on this city.  After being scammed with no place to live, work being disappointing from what I was told (repetitive setting, no mentor, high stress/productivity), and no stove, I turned my life around after 1.5 weeks.  It really is so easy to love Santa Barbara.  My favorites in my 2.5 week stay so far:

- Thin sand beaches.  The beach faces south, towards the channel islands.  Every sunset is beautiful
- Hills and hills, enough for a hiker to never get bored
- Good food everywhere, but for a price (notice how I didn't say the best, or even great... it's just good)
- Awesome coworkers
- Fabulous weather... almost perfect.  70s most of the time <3 p="">- Kind people (mostly white, privileged people..  :\) and dog-friendly community (everyone and their grandma has a dog!)
- Oprah's main house is here!  lolol


Cons of SB so far:

- Work.  :c See details above
- Cost of living
- No Saul

So Happy 1 Year Anniversary to me!  Now to celebrate... a bowl of peppermint ice cream!!


No comments:

Post a Comment