Tuesday, August 12, 2014

OCA Family

Over the weekend, I had the utmost privilege to be with some of my favorite people from around the country, getting together for the same cause: APIA advocacy.  Together in Los Angeles, we met for the 41st OCA national convention hosted by OCA-GLA at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel.  The workshops were great, the speakers were good and the company was warm.  I'm always happy to be with my OCA family- yes, we are like family.  No matter how long it has been (usually a year or two), we always manage to come together for this one event of learning, teaching and glamour.

I love these people so much, they probably don't know how much I love them.  They're always taking care of me, always looking out for me, always protecting me and especially always considering me and inviting me.  Sometimes, when you fall out of a group, people stop talking to you or even begin to exclude you.  My OCA family has never, not once, let me feel that way.  Sometimes I feel bad for refusing to participate because they're so kind and accepting!  OCA really is my 2nd family.  Big shout out to those I got to see again this year & even some new friends I've met along the way (in no particular order):

Debbie Chen
Ellen Chen
Victoria Ma
Andrew Chen
Ted Chiou
Nap Chan
Stephen Chao
Tanga Nguyen
Ling Ta
Lisa Thong
Jen Ju
Dora Quach
David Yeh
Ed Lew
Cliff Yee in spirit ^^
Mike Lok
Andy Luong
Jude Edwards
Duy Nguyen
Janice Ma
Sharon Wong
Thong Tarm
Steven Paulson
Mike Kwan
Karen Kwan
Lavinia Taomoepeau
Siu-Lin Santee
Edie & Tom Mitko
Anthony Yen
Stephanie Nitahara
Leslie Moy
Anthony Yen

I made a new friend, who, when I finally saw him, said "I saw you going around hugging everyone.  You have a lot of energy, and you seem very popular."  This 84 year old man, one of the cutest Chinese men I have ever met, opened up to me after a workshop Saturday morning.  He proceeded to tell me all of the hate crimes and feelings of guilt for being Chinese back in the 60's through even the 80's, as his family was punished just because he was a "Chinaman."  The hardship of having to find a job only to find out his assistants made more money than him, the suffering of his wife when he found out these white men drugged her to raper her because she was married to a Chinese man, and to protect his family and run for their lives after a tip from the motel manager bringing in their FBI friend to protect them from the sheriff they met at the gas station, an active member of the KKK.

Such stories brought tears to my eyes and made me realize that all the things we learn and study with equality and equal rights mean we are the change.  Without active APIA advocates, so many would be hurt or even die because of ignorance and prejudice so violent, every action can hurt someone.

And from that I leave with this:  This OCA family and I will be active all around the country, everyday, to fight for APIAs the best we can.  Many of us have broken through the bamboo ceiling, but we mustn't forget those who are still fighting demons at the local level.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment