Thursday, June 30, 2016

Discipline Changes Lives



Play my theme song for the day while you read!

Yesterday  I finally had some time to think on my own.  On outlook, the present and everything in between.

I've always been sort of a procrastinator with certain items, think homework and anything that requires self-maintenance.  I've more recently been feeling sorry for myself and how I can't get my life together this time.  I've picked myself back up many times before, how come I can't do it this time?

Truth is, the past 4 years of travel work is finally taking a toll on me.  I'm not able to bounce back as easily.  Changes related to picking up and relocating:  continuum, relationships, stability, security, familiarity/routine are all things many people need.  Studies say people who have 5 people in their lives who they can share just about anything with rate themselves as "very happy," where I now feel like I'm losing friends with each new move.

I decided last night to start with myself and not worry so much about others.  I find I have time to think about what I'm not doing with people and tend to get sad.  All the while, I'm sitting around doing nothing about it!  No, not even getting adequate sleep, doing mentally challenging activities, engaging in personal hobbies, nada.  Last night, I set my alarm for 8:30 (yes, that's early for the unemployed!  Being in between jobs has been fun) because I was looking at 5K and 10K runs in July.   I am going to take the first step towards change, and I'll bring you with me if you want to follow along!  Not making promises to update everyday, but I find it nice to express and write out my thoughts to get a better understanding of what I'm doing.

Today, I woke up at 8:30, weighed myself.  YEESH.  Ok, don't panic.  That's a start.  It's not the worst it has ever been, but I've been drinking sodas, juices, eating desserts, extra meals and taking mid-afternoon naps.  I know, I've been a little sluggish.  That was the past!  This is now!

I went for a run with a new motivation to improve my self discipline.  Discipline is such an interesting intrinsic motivator.  I normally don't think about it, but when I do, I can't allow myself to think I don't have it. Self-discipline may be the key to improved behavior. Evidence shows young adults with discipline tend to be less socially risky, have improved academic performance and as a result, as adults they had better problem solving skills and used autocratic decision making skills.* Anyway, here are today's disciplinary results:


Not bad for never running.  Day 1, 10:35 minute mile.  It's a little embarrassing, but one must start somewhere!  And, I ran the entire 3.3 miles.  WOOT!  At least I know I can do a 5K without dying... okay, I pretty much died.  Seriously.  Thought about giving up every minute of that last mile.  But I did it!  Small victories, right?

Breakfast was 1 banana and miso soup with seaweed.  Lunch is a small portion of white wine tilapia pasta.  Dinner is either sticky-rice (premade) or mi-fen (premade).  I think I'll work on portion control before cutting out some of my favorite foods.

As the usual follower knows, I love lists.  Changes I am going to do my absolute best to maintain:

1.  Drink only water, tea or coconut water (gotta have something to enjoy, too!).  A green smoothie is acceptable, but only a small portion for breakfast.  Track it with MyFitnessPal.

2.  Wake up and exercise.  Do not go more than 2 days without exercising, but do your best to exercise (weights, yoga, running) daily.  Track it with Google Fit.  Minimum of 1 hour of activity (any form, including walking) each day.

3.   Keep a food journal on MyFitnessPal to give myself perspective on how much food I actually sneak in... which I think is a lot :\

4.  Sleep at least 7 hr 30 min each night.  Try to have a regular wake up time (which will foster exercise routines).

5.  Weigh-in every 3-5 days, not daily.  Results will help motivate (as I have known from my history).

Wish me luck, I think I can do this.  This is for my long term health!  For 30 is the new 20!  Okay, I'm not yet 30, but I will be soon...




*Resnick et al, 1997; Battistich, 1999; Goodenow, 1993, Aquilino, 2001; Baumrind, 1991; Jackson et al, 1998; Simons, Morton et al, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment