I am writing to you from a high (no, not an endorphine high) I got out of a goal much accomplished this weekend. I ran, for the first time ever, 6.4 miles straight! Yes, it was tough. No, I don't kid. It was definitely a test of mind and body in one.
The Lantern Run was in San Jose, a 2 loop 10K on a park trail with cute high school students holding up motivational signs to encourage you to keep running. Running 4 minutes late (punny), David and I began to pass the stragglers who had the 4 minute head start. It was scary to see some of the 10K starters already looping back around when we didn't know when the turnaround loop was. After 1/3 of the run, I wanted to stop to walk, but David was going strong! He was cheering, jumping and had all sorts of excess energy! I couldn't stop, not now. He slowed down to run with me and the least I could do was to run as much as I can.
In training, I ran 10:30 splits, up to about 4 miles at a time. I felt like I was practically moving backwards the last 1/3 of the run, but David and I finished strong, hand in hand as we crossed the red line.
I couldn't stop scarfing down water and food afterwards. I've never ran for that long before... a continuous 1:00:08.52, approx 9:40 min split. HOLY CRAP. I thought I sucked at this, but maybe there's still hope for the yet to be 30 year old me to do that triathlon!
I placed 11th in my age group at the oldest possible age. I haven't felt so proud of myself in the longest time. Next year I move up in age group for all sorts of things. If I can still be young in my 30's, I'll be happy. :)
![]() |
| My prize, my memorabilia for this new accomplishment |

No comments:
Post a Comment