Okay folks, just a warning-- this could become graphic (or not... I like to think I may or may not get emotional about what I'm about to write. Feel free to join me in throwing out F-bombs and jaw drops).
Last night I went to the usual Nickelmania for a round of games with the boyfriend. Nothing out of the ordinary. It was Tuesday, the air was crisp and the lights were glowing, welcoming us into the room of play. Making our way inside, we are instantly bedazzled by the flashing lights and loud beeping sounds made purposefully to attract our attention.
After about an hour, excitement dwindled and pockets emptied. 300+ tickets later, we leave the facility satisfied with our evening. After a quick swig of water from the canister of my back seat (which was desperately needed due to the high physical activity provoked by DDR), Tommy notices tiny shiny specs on the sweater sitting in my passenger seat. Upon more up-close and careful examination, my eyes widen. Opening the driver door and tucking my head carefully into the car, I notice something's missing. Something important. I look at the passenger door across the way. Yep, something's definitely missing. Not only was my window shattered into a million pieces, glass all over the floor, leather seats and lacing my sweater, but my purse, which once held things dear to me, was nowhere to be seen.
In shock, my mind quickly races to my missing valuables. Upon quick & careful examination of the car, nothing else was missing. It was easy to scan, since I don't make it a habit of leaving things out (or in my car at all). in less than 1 hour, my life had just changed before me.
Someone has my identity. Not just my identity, but all the access to everything I hold most precious in my life. The relationship between the people I contact is held together by my phone.... my brand. new. phone. Not even 1 month old. My wallet, including ID and card access to my accounts. My house key... I can only imagine what doors (pun intended) that would open. John's camera with memories upon memories (this might be the single and only thing I feel absolutely terrible about since it didn't belong to me and was worth... tons). After figuring out the necessities, all those can be readily replaced with a bunch of $$ and some inconvenience. It's the small things that somehow make me more mad. No, they don't cost more. Yes, some can be replaced. But seriously, if you really wanted the essentials, I would much rather you just take those and leave the rest (I'll be stopping checks, freezing cards, and replacing IDs anyway).
Okay, I'm just being a negative Nancy now. That purse? Gift from mom. Compact makeup? Gift for birthday from Taiwan. Favorite lip gloss. Endless parking validations (that took me years to save up, mind you) and gift cards (Zupas free meal, 2 free movie tickets, Cold Stone gift certificate, free Blimpie sandwich, Costa Vida free meal, Cafe Rio free meal, 700+ sandwich Subway points and $50 gift certificate at Saffron Valley). Oh... and Mr. Grey.
The cop shows up, does a report/evaluation, and the self-protection begins. Frantic calls to the bank, credit companies, work (paycheck I was going to deposit), insurance, etc.
It all happened so fast... I should take a nap because I didn't sleep well last night. Just fixing collateral damage takes a lot of time, energy, and patience.
I hope everyone learns from my mistake. No matter how safe you feel, you can never be too cautious. I feel so violated. Lesson learned... now can I have my phone and camera back?! *tear*
:(
That really sucks hun! *Hugs*
ReplyDelete