Whenever I'm single, I am often reminded of past relationships from various things/sayings/pictures/songs/comments that lead me to reminisce. These feelings of nostalgia never lead to actions, just a long train of thought.
Just heard this old school song on the radio and blasted it out loud on my way home tonight...
Somehow the train of thought led to my first crush in elementary and middle school when I was fugly. Literally. I had the uncute hair, big glasses, braces, chubbiness, oversized 90's baggy clothes, worn out shoes or Tevas I had been wearing for years and years, and poor personal hygiene education (I'm still rather embarrassed about that). Just ask any of my friends back then and they'll tell you I was quite pathetic :(
When I started losing weight from Varsity Swimming in 9th grade (middle school), all at once everything changed: I had to buy smaller/tighter clothes, I got my braces off, I wore contacts, and I grew my hair long. What a difference caring for your physical appearance made to how people treat you. My crush (and several other guys in my grade) all of a sudden noticed me, but I was so behind and "untrained" in the ways of social normalcy that I didn't know how to act towards them! lol
Long story short, I am the ugly duckling story. I'm not saying I'm beautiful or flawless right now, but I've come a long way (and I still don't care about personal looks as much as I could pay attention to it). I'm also very understanding of those who get picked on, bullied, or ignored by all types of people and somehow end up making a good variety of friends.
This goes to say I don't discriminate based on looks... at all (unless you scare the shit out of me by just looking at me). I do, however, judge people's character instantly by their first-impression-manners. I'm always attracting the creepers with no understanding of body language, cheesy-one-line-pickups, or the no-filter-from-brain-to-mouth guys... story of my life. -_- Thank god there were some good fish out there that turned out to be some amazing relationships!
Wow, this whole blog over one song? You lucky readers, you.
No comments:
Post a Comment