Monday, September 22, 2014

30s are not the new 20s

Sometimes TED talks speak to what I worry about all the time and I need someone to just break it down and tell me what I'm thinking from a different perspective.  A great 15:00 video for those not only in their 20's, but for those who still want to do something with their life.

http://www.ted.com/talks/meg_jay_why_30_is_not_the_new_20?utm_content=awesm-publisher&utm_medium=on.ted.com-facebook-share&utm_source=direct-on.ted.com&utm_campaign=&awesm=on.ted.com_f0KBw#t-97138

As I begin to approach the 3rd decade of my life, I feel like a child with no direction.  It may appear from the outside I have my shit together, but I feel like I'm kind of winging it.  I know life is too short to not do everything you want to do, but so are funds.  I dream of doing such big things but have low confidence to follow through and actually make them happen, the only thing I have going for me is passion.  I don't have a partner but don't really know who I'm looking for either... if I'm even actually looking.  

How do we achieve things?  It needs to be challenging: I need an idea and not quite enough time.  I've always felt like I'm in a rush to achieve all the things I want to do in my life, knowing the end is coming!  It may not seem soon to most people, but it does to me.  Youth expires, people.  Whether physically or mentally (whichever one comes first), there is a natural process of aging.  Whether it's energy, time, values, etc.  it's more simple when you're in your 20's before things get more complicated.  

Claim Your Adulthood in your 20's
Get some identity capital:  do something that is an investment for yourself.  Explore in things THAT COUNT.  Other things being explored is procrastinating in life.  

Use your weak ties:  reiterating why networking is so powerful.  Sometimes it's who you know, not what you know that will help you get to where you want to be.

Start picking your family: consciously choosing who you want, not who is around you at 30.  There's a lot of pressure when we turn 30: career, family, identity.  Get a head start to avoid making mistakes.

Some things to think about as I approach yet another birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment