Thursday, October 2, 2014

New Way to Introduce Friends

I have always felt I am a person with strong networking skills.  Networking is actually a skill, contrary to people's belief.  It takes work to build, guts to initiate, and 2 way communication.

Often times I don't break down tasks enough to understand where I would need areas of improvement.  Things that I find so natural, or situations I don't get put into often, usually get overlooked.  One of these is introductions.

Now you may say "It's easy to introduce people," but it really has so many complexities.  First off, you are giving this person their first impression on a new face.  Is it enough to just say "Hey, I want you to meet Joe" or "This is my friend, Dan" and have them fend for themselves?  I use to think so, because what they want to share with people upon initial meetings is on their agenda, not mine.  Is it in my place to divulge?

Though it may not be appropriate to say this person can chug a can of beer in 3 seconds or this friend's personality changes with every new hair do, I will say that my default is introducing them as their profession.  Which brings up another subject- how do I know if they're proud of their work?  What if they don't want to be introduced as a call center representative?  What if they don't find prestige in their work?  Who's to say I'm not calling them out on their faults?  I will admit I am guilty of introducing people by what they tell me are their accomplishments.  You pride yourself on healthy living?  You excel at sales for a fortune 500 company?  You are your own boss?  You spend your time as a family man?  That is how I like to introduce people.

A Better Way to Introduce Your Friends at Parties

This article brings up a great point.  An introduction is a vital part of how the person being introduced is seen in your eyes and how you pave the way for the success of the conversation (or even possibly friendship) to come.  I will say that after having read this article, I am going to start doing this in my daily practice:

Introduce friends for who they are, 
not for what they do.

That's why you're my friend- I love you for you, and not for your title.  Shall we all try it out?


No comments:

Post a Comment