Monday, March 19, 2012

Realization: home living

I just came to a realization why I'm never home and like to be out, about, and active.
I believe I live under rules well. However, when the rules become too restricting, I found the best solution is to avoid the rule seekers.Those who lay down the law -so to speak- can be avoided to a point where the questioning, nagging, and yelling can be prevented.
The past few weeks I have been trying to stay home, spend time with the visiting family, and even interacting more with my own. But it turns out this is becoming more of a nuisance to both sides rather than beneficial.
I have gotten in more trouble this week than I have in the past few months. I have had more assumptions made about what I do, who I hang out with, and why I do things that I don't even care to disprove anymore (think what you want, I know the truth and I'm not about to subject myself to your interrogations).
The price I pay for independence... in the end, I come back to the same question: is it worth it? When should I move out?
I try to think of my parents as a good example, but by the time they got to my age they had their college degrees, were already married, moved across the ocean to a different country, and had a kid. I, on the other hand, am a quarter of a century old, and I live in a home where we have to tiptoe around the rules or else...
I remember there was a time when my parents actually trusted me to do what I think is best for myself. I guess I either gave them a reason to be proven otherwise or they disapprove of what I'm doing.... or both.
Either way, I guess I'll be reverting back to my old lifestyle. Farewell, family... I tried.

3 comments:

  1. I feel ya... after moving out (and being in different states than my [immediate fam]), I find that we miss each other more. I guess it's true, that "distance makes the heart fonder."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Yen about distance makes the heart fonder - I miss my family more than ever now that I live in a different state.. but also.. when I go to visit family for long durations of time (more than a week or two).. I am reminded of why I love living on my own and having no rules to obey by. haha I guess I need that nice balance.. of enough time with them. (not too much and not too little)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that it's going to be that way, but yes, I am at that point where I need a little bit of space. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death, but sometimes you just can't get away far enough.

    I'm hoping this blows over quickly; I love them all dearly and want to leave the "nest" on good terms. :)

    ReplyDelete