Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Knee Problems

 
Oh man... here we go again.

Back in 2008, I had a R knee arthroscopy from a lateral meniscus tear.  I was prescribed a plan of care to use crutches and wear a straight leg knee brace for 6 weeks.

That was 6 weeks of ice/snow ambulation on a campus, the most uneven surfaces ever.  6 weeks of step-by-step stairs, both ways.  6 weeks of public transit/carpooling.  One of the most tedious experiences of my physical life.

Now, I somehow managed to get bursitis on my L knee, making it look like a golf-ball that sits on my patella.  Having it not get any better, I finally go see my GP.

"I've never seen anything like this on a knee..."
O_O  Okay, what should I do?  Can you fix it before I go to Pittsburgh and sit on a plane experiencing changes in elevation/pressure?
"Just take some ibuprofen BID and wear a straight leg brace for 2-4 weeks and avoid using your knee as much as possible.  If it doesn't heal by then, we may have to make an appt with an orthopedic surgeon."
Alright, but what should I do about physical activity?  I've been gaining some weight.
"Well, actually, you look pretty good, I wouldn't worry about it."
But, I've been gaining a lot of weight... *not fishing for compliments*
"Don't worry about it, you look good.  Just lay off the activity for the next month."

Yay... hello again, brace.

No comments:

Post a Comment