Thursday, August 16, 2012

Maintaining Friends

Maybe my perspective on friendship is skewed, but I see friends as those who wouldn't terminate a good thing just because of absence.

My friends are friends that would be there no matter how long it's been since we've seen each other, no matter what has happened in our personal lives.  Whether it's been a week, month, year, etc. they would still be there, as my friends, without question.

I've changed from the planner to the attender.  I don't like to call people up anymore.  Is it just me being lazy or do I prefer to have people contact me because I want to feel like people want me to be there?

If they don't like it, then maybe this friendship isn't a good fit.

I have a friend that I am on the verge of losing.  I've never lost a friend this way, but it doesn't fit my style of friendship/relationship.  It is on the contrary to what I have described above.  Why is it that I need to maintain constant contact with them?  Why is it that something is "wrong" if I don't say anything for a week/month? 

I feel like they may not understand my lifestyle or how I handle things, and maybe my style doesn't mesh with their style either.  I've tried to compromise, but sometimes, it's easier to just give up.  I don't want to lose them as a friend, in fact, I value their friendship immensly.  However, if they want to throw in the towel, I can't do anything about it.

I'll just have to surrender the friendship, too.

:(

No comments:

Post a Comment