Food. People take it for granted if you were raised like I was. Food was plentiful, accessible, and pleasurable. Never do we ever think it'll deplete, become a fuel source, or calculate the value of each specific item we consume.
I never had those thoughts until I started living here. It drove me crazy at first and now just plain sad. Fruit and veggies, my preferred diet, are 3x the price of that on the mainland. Bread is almost $5.00 for the cheapest loaf. Eggs are over $3.00 a dozen. Forget dairy... that's a luxury.
I went to the best credible food source that wasn't a Farmer's Market here on the Big Island: Target (yeah, who would have thought?). I went in thinking I need to get food for survival, and spending $3 on cafeteria spinach everyday wasn't enough to fulfill my needs. I browsed every single food aisle for the best deal in food... like I was a poor college student eating ramen everyday (only, ramen is still $2 each). After 1 hour of sheer calculations and sadness, there was no produce, no bread, no dairy. My take home consisted of:
Tropicana
Turkey burger patties
Whole grain oats
Dark brown sugar
Angel hair pasta
Canned, petite diced tomatoes
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Turkey burger patties
Whole grain oats
Dark brown sugar
Angel hair pasta
Canned, petite diced tomatoes
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
...aaaaand that's it. My bill still came out to over $23! Mind you, I bought the smallest size of everything (except oatmeal). Ridiculous.
If I had anyone send me anything in this island, it would be food. I feel like I'm starving all the time! Maybe this is what it feels like to properly diet, because I'm dieting whether I like it or not. :(
![]() |
| This tiny 12.5 oz box of cinnamon toast crunch is $4.29! X_X |

No comments:
Post a Comment