Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Happiness- Don't Let Life Weigh You Down



Lately I have been reading more about what makes people happy and the secrets to happiness.  These things should be a secret anymore, since there is so much research about emotional health and how important it is nowadays to your personal well-being.

I came upon this article of mainstream thinking on how people find happiness.  Yes, I do believe we can control our own level of happiness to a degree (and yes, I understand clinical depression is no laughing matter).  Many of the most unhappiest people I know blame their unhappiness on things around them when in fact, it comes from within.  Intrinsic factors play a major roll in self-satisfaction and overall long term happiness.

You believe professional success will bring lasting fulfillment
You believe simply joining will create a sense of belonging
You believe you can do everything
You're afraid of who you really are
You have no one to call at 3 a.m.
You believe structure is the same as control
You believe you no longer need to fail

Taking a moment to reflect on each of these aspects, where are areas you need to develop?  Any ah-hah moments?

Personally, I am currently very focused on my professional career, however I don't find it to be a source of happiness.  I do find my work to be rewarding and enjoyable, as everything I actually fill my day with should be.

I still believe I can do everything.  :)

I was never more true to myself than I was in Houston.  Suprisingly, people liked me for me and who I was.  People there were genuine about hanging out with me, none of these fake promises.  And, I was able to speak up and speak out without being condoned for my opinions.... what a good feeling.  Did I mention I became more confrontational?  #levelup

I have multiple friends I can now call at 3 a.m.  Before Houston, I had 4.  Now, I can say I have 7.  Major improvement!  No more sunshine friends only!  True friends are the rainy day friends, I have now learned.

And last comment- I hate failing, but it happens and I always learn from it.  It makes me stronger, but seriously... it almost kills me.


No comments:

Post a Comment