Thursday, November 10, 2011

October Budget: Major Changes

Dolla dolla bill y'all~
Destiny's Child - Bills Bills Bills


Okay... some things in life aren't topics of conversation.  Of course, people like money but don't like to talk about it.  Why not?  Why are some people more open to sharing with who they slept with and not their debt?  I'm learning my finances the hard way.

Major expense this month?  My brand new baby.

Meet Candy: 2012 Volkswagen Passat  ^_^
I would have taken a picture at mile 8 (when I got it)... but forgot :P

I love it to death, but it makes me worry about my budgets... budgets that I thought were already too loose.  Before I had food, gas, and stuff.  That gas category?  Scratch that and make it overall Car category.  Maintenance, gas, and payments... am I missing anything?  Help me out peeps!

The Breakdown

Category              Amount
Food                    275.52
Stuff                     243.64
CAR                    2,662.66   [including down payment]
Student Loans      4,234.73
TOTAL              7,146.55

WTF... MULTIPLY EXPENSES x10?!  I was really starting to freak out.... I know, this month is a fluke, because it'll just be monthly payments for the car + insurance and I won't pay off an entire loan... but still, I'm (Asian) poor.  :P

Reflecting back on October expenses, I believe I spent over $300 on other people (gifts & food)... which means rather than indulging in my own earnings, I'm giving it away.  Good and bad thing I think- little savings but friends know the value of their friendship to me.  Plus, I was a little loose with my spendings- what, it was my birthday!  Give a girl a break.  ^_~

I also need to change my mindset.  I feel like every time I make progress financially, I get to spend a little more of it.  Two steps forward, 2 steps back.  This hedonistic treadmill gives me the idea that when I get what I want, I get to use it... then I want more.  Hence, to stay in the same place, you have to keep walking on the treadmill....

Other changes to come for the month of November... I'm learning, slowly but surely, about this whole adult thing.  Insurance, retirement, and... did someone say investments?  Plus, Christmas is coming up.... *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Mika, I'm amazed that you keep up with your expenses! I try to but a few weeks into the month, I stop and then never get caught up again. My eyes bugged out when I saw your total :S GOOD LUCK my friend. Money is such a pain. I constantly feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Wtf, I'm not even married nor do I have kids yet! Where the hell is my money going??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! I know, right? :S Yeah, those last two line items are a doozy. I think I'm going to take it easy and just pay those student loans off a bit slower... it might be a more efficient use of my money if I put it into a retirement fund. :)

    ReplyDelete