Saturday, November 19, 2011

Somos Gala

Every year I look forward to attending two galas:  the Asian Chamber of Commerce Gala and the Somos Gala.

Somos is a foundation created by the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to aid students financially in the hopes  of fostering Hispanic leaders who obtain higher education and fulfilling dreams.

These two events are black-tie formal, and I love to dress up. Not just wearing a nice dress and going to a restaurant type deal-- this is a whole different experience.  Suits, tuxes, dresses, gowns.... the whole shibang.  5 course meal, silent auctions, raffles, awards, scholarships, keynotes, performances, videos, and a great attendance.  *sigh*  I want to make YAAP that big... lol

Pictures describe it better than I do :)

Half-up-do with my orange black-rooted hair :P

My favorite guy!

Steven, Robert, Pam & me in the reception hall by the silent auction

Congrats to Maria Jose, a recipient of a Somos Scholarship!

Friends <3  

New friend, Romi!  We hit it off right away ^_^  Sagg & Libra hahaha

Of course, the food.  <3  Mini San Juan pears stuffed with Cinnamon
mascarpone creme, frisee, micro greens and pomegranate vinaigrette

Grilled filet mignon with shiitake pinot noir reduction
Seared salmon filet with lemon garlic creme (second favorite)
White cheddar and chive potato cake with whipped peruvian blues (favorite)
Haricots verts with globe carrots and sauteed red onions

To. Die. For.
Chocolate IV cake


The program had a lot of great stuff, including a keynote speaker.  I'm a sucker for motivational speakers.  I would go to one a day if they were offered.  They keynote at the Somos gala really helped me as an emerging leader.  Some take-away points (yes, isn't this all why we read self-help books?  I'm trying to give back what I've learned hahaha) I want to share with everyone from the speech:

Leaders need to remember 3 important things:

  • Do what you say and say what you do.  I feel like, in my lifetime, I read and hear a lot of advice.  As much as I'd like to repeat what I learn, I'm still a student of life.  I don't want to be a hypocrite, I'm just trying to get further and follow that same advice.  I'm not perfect, and I strive to be the best I can be.  It's a process, a journey... but I'm trying.  Isn't that the first step?
  • Surround yourself with people you respect and admire.  Find mentors which genuinely want to see you succeed.  Get to know people that you want to strive to be similar to.  You'll pick up on habits, tricks, advice, and anything that will help you get to where you want to be with these people.  Trust them, befriend them.... don't use and abuse.
  • It is very nice to be important, but it is far more important to be nice.  Words of wisdom....  I'm generally a loving, compassionate, and caring person for those who have earned my trust and friendship. People I don't know well may not experience that with me, but I'm doing my best to be nicer.  You can never be too nice.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, you look gorgeous! Looove the hair and dress!

    I also like that last bit of advice... You can never be too nice is right! :)

    ReplyDelete