Sunday, March 27, 2011

Letting Go

It's always hard for a supervisor to give their employers bad news.  I'm in the same situation here, only I'm not an employer and the employee doesn't get paid.

I'm talking about YAAP.  I have a lot of great executive board members I work with- we work well as a team.  However, since January 2011, we've been teetering with the Treasurer.  Our previous one left, and our current one doesn't do anything.  The reason?  I'm not positive.

I'm just a bit frustrated with the results and having to be the bad-guy.  I want people I work with to learn something from being a leader.  It helps build professionalism, a skill some people aren't born with (or have a sense of).  It means taking responsibility, even if you don't make it to a meeting.  BUT, you SHOULD TRY to make it to meetings (and if you can't, at least have the decency to let people know so we're not waiting for you for 30+ min).  It means when you decide to take the position, you are the one who is going to be proactive, not babysat.  Requesting repeated reminders, not picking up your phone, not responding to emails.... those are not team cooperative qualities.

Today we had a YAAP meeting and the treasurer didn't show up.  We purposely moved it to Saturdays to fit it around his schedule.  After 10 minutes, no pickup to a phone call.  After 1 hour, he still didn't make it.  I come to find, on Facebook, he went out to the Holi Festival to play with friends and his new girlfriend without even giving us a heads up.  There was no excuse to NOT know this meeting existed- I made sure he knew 2 weeks ago, the VP sent a reminder via meeting minutes, and I even texted everyone the day before.

I feel extremely disappointed in him and myself.  I hope the 1 month trial I give him will work- if he doesn't begin to ask questions as to what he's doing, show up to our bimonthly meetings, finish his tasks, or pick up his phone/reply to emails, I'm going to have to let him go.  Being a follower is nothing to be ashamed of.

*sigh*  I hate being the bad guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment