Feb. 19th is a special day at our home. [speaking of new home, should I make a post of our new house?] It's the person who takes care of everyone in this family-- yes, mom's birthday!
The family started the day off with a sushi buffet at Ichiro Buffet while I was busy picking up the cake. I went to Creme de Bakery on 5045 S State Street, a Chinese bakery with delicious filled rolls and delicatessen desserts. I was fortunate enough to buy a cocktail cake. The difference between Chinese desserts and American is pretty obvious. To compare American to Chinese, here's a list of a few:
Frosting = Whipped Cream
Cake with large air pockets = Refined cake with minimum-no air holes (think of a smooth pound cake)
Fruit in sugar/syrup = Fresh or canned fruit w/o extra additives
Sweet-fix/90% daily sugar intake = mild sweetness, most sugar provided by the fruit
It's really hard to go from mild-fine taste to over-sugary-diabetic-coma. For some, that's the only reason why you eat cake- to get that sugar overload. But, coming from a person that doesn't find dessert to be the best part of a meal, I'm good with the Chinese-style.
The evening proceeded with mom & her friends making a fun dinner together, then surprising her with a cake, ice cream, and of course, a shower of presents. Partying went on into the wee hours of the morning with a very sweet red wine- Concord. Anyone have it before? It literally tastes like grape juice. De-lish. Mom can't usually drink a lot, but I've decided it's fun when she drinks-- she gets really goofy & silly. <3
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM, WE LOVE YOU! xoxo
Your mom gets really goofy & silly? really?
ReplyDeleteshe was only having fun with friends, maybe you don't want to tell your dad anything about the wine...when he comes back from business trip.
Silly mommy...
ReplyDeleteBut, I'm sure he will just laugh. :) Are you sure? I was going to send him a link to the blog post...
ReplyDeletehaha it was a fuuuuuuuuuuuun time!! hope the present was acceptable ^^
ReplyDeleteYes! Please do a post on your new AMAZING house!!
ReplyDeleteJohn: It was fun having you back home!
ReplyDeleteLisa: You're so cute! You and your houses... I'll try to get a post up with pictures. :)