Today was an interesting (and long) day. I continued with my day, just like any other day, and actually felt rather productive. Making sensory relief books and granola were definite highlights. :)
I'm starting to feel like I have more responsibility at the state hospital. They are treating me like a therapist with assignments to complete assessments, writing impressions and analysis of a licensed OT. I had the great opportunity to work with an OT from the children's unit to go on a community outing to Toddler Tots, which, contrary to the name, housed people from the ages 5-30 with severe physical and mental disabilities. Each of the children had a 1:1 supervisor. This was a treatment for children to be the "adults" engaging in conversation with someone that may not look the same or act the same as most people. They practiced introducing themselves, asking what the person's name was, talking about themselves, asking questions/playing, saying "please, excuse me, thank you" to them, and taking turns while talking. Any interaction is great for both sides, and they are always learning.
I was surprised how respectful my 1:1 child was, despite some of his actions on the unit. He tried so hard to fulfill all the areas and did a marvelous job. In the end, all the children who scored points above 15 (out of 65) received a reward: ice cream! The number of scoops and amount of various toppings depended on how well they scored.
Overall, everyone did well. It's good to see how children who have traumatic backgrounds, whether it is foster care, child abuse, or congenital diseases (and this is just 3 out of an infinite amount of problems) can treat others when the situation is right.
I think I have a better understanding of treating children. However, I'm still struggling with ones that are hyperactive or bad-tempered... they really just piss me off. Maybe this is the first sign I should work with clients ages 13+....
No comments:
Post a Comment