Saturday, February 5, 2011

Young Asian American Professionals

Ah, my second family.  <3  I'm so excited for 2011!  YAAP had their strategy session in January with overflowing amounts of great ideas.  I'm so lucky to work with Lucas Truong, Rich Nhan, and Esther Kim for another year.  We were really fortunate to have Kevin Quach as our Treasurer last year.  He taught our new treasurer, Charles Kim, the works of how we roll.  I know he'll be on the same page in no time.  

Since I started this back in January 2010 (well, I've been thinking about it since January 2009...), I think this organization has developed into quite the avenue for students and young folks out there.  More and more colleagues and peers are finding it important to network, learn at seminars & workshops, do service projects, involve in social justice/civil rights activism, and just any excuse to meet new people and have fun.  YAAP is hopefully going to meet all those needs this year.

I just love to get together with people that are passionate and act upon their ideas.  It really makes it fun and motivating to keep striving for the best.  Being in a leadership role has allowed me to learn skills, to get the opportunity to have a voice, and to make thoughts become reality.  I am thankful for everything.

There are many things to look forward to this year.  I am going to be the keynote speaker at an Asian American High School Conference, we are forming a committee to make an Asian Youth Leadership Conference (a retreat for those who want to become leaders in their communities), mentors teaching workshops and seminars, and best of all, to meet and see new faces.

Thanks to all who came to the jungle juice social yesterday, we had over 60 people attend.  Love to those who support YAAP and what we, the Executive Board, believe in doing.  <3

YAAP Members at our Banquet

YAAP Member of the Year + Executive Board
 YAAP Ice Skating Social

 YAAP Dodgeball Field Day

 YAAP Waterballoon Fight

YAAP Meet n' Greet @ Asian Star

YAAP Volunteer work @ Asian Festival

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you started this Mika! :) I'm looking forward to going to some events in the future! It'll be fun to see everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I'm glad I have your support. It's great that you'll be joining us this year- I know you'll like it. :)

    ReplyDelete