In Chinese culture, it's extremely rare for a family to get together and just enjoy each other's time. Somehow, I don't think family time is as valued in the entertainment aspect of things. Sure, we all never want to leave the nest for family and financial purposes. Yes, we do have dinner together at the table every night. Sure, we go on family vacations once a year. But somehow, all those things don't match up to just having a time designated to be together without someone missing, rushing off to an event, worrying about homework, etc.
In the past, my family has subtly spent time together- going to the movies, going out to eat for no reason at all, or having a big feast. Today was special. All 5 of us enjoyed dessert (strawberry cheesecake from the cheesecake factory) while playing a board game called imaginiff. Quite fun if you know everyone participating! I had some good sweets, found out more information about my family members (I know, I thought I knew them pretty well already), and laughed until I cried. This will definitely make for a good memory.
When was the last time you spent time with your family in a casual way? Granted, everyone had to attend/participate willingly....
heheheheh sowwee about the strawberry stain... blehh~
ReplyDelete