Monday, June 27, 2011

Kaohsiung City

Our last morning in Kenting was spent grabbing more bao-zi at the famous place and catching an express bus up to Zuoying HSR station.  The ride was nice- TV, reclining chairs, and plenty of space to spread out.  Our 2 hour bus ride took us to Zuoying where we took a taxi to get to Uncle Emerson's place. 

He especially took that day off for us so we could play with him, but he didn't end up coming out with us.  After a few drinks, some settling in, and a trip to the electronics store to get that memory card reader (pictures up soon), we all went out to this restaurant called "Old Taiwan Restaurant." 






This restaurant specializes in Taiwanese food and has thousands of 1950s, 60s, and 70s memorabilia.  Fun to browse around and look at some of the antiques.  The food was amazing- for the first time, I had rice with pork oil.  Sounds gross, but it added freshness to the food we ate.  YUMMY!!  I'd rate it a 9/10.

A taxi took John, Cat and I (uncle didn't want to go out) to the Love River where we took a stroll around the river.  I know John could hardly stand the humidity and "heat" (no, it wasn't that hot there), but he withstood it and I'm proud of him.  :D  We stopped at a dock to take a boat tour of Kaohsiung city.... but failed, miserably.  All of us were so exhausted from travelling and were lacking sleep that during the ride, ALL of us fell asleep at one point or another.  I got some pictures... heh heh heh....




We decided to take a break and sit at an outdoor cafe since Cat and I had headaches and John was boiling hot by now.  John = white chocolate milk tea, Cat = carmel machiatto, me = peach smoothie.  We had some live music (I think it was old school chinese songs) while we relaxed and enjoyed our drinks and the scenery.

We took a cab to the Kaohsiung night market and were way too full to even eat anything, so we just did some shopping for clothes, phones, and after all that... we finally got some shaved ice.  :P  Mango snowflake ice, anyone?

A stroll down the street from the night market landed us back at Uncle Emerson's place... only to find we came home too late because he had friends/guests that he wanted to introduce.  Next time!

We woke up early to take a taxi to the Kindness Hotel (is what it's literally translated to...), a hotel that my uncle has managed forever.  We had a fabulous all you can eat breakfast there and the widest spread of different types of breakfast food I had ever seen.  We also toured the rooms and they were pretty nice if I say so myself.


Deng ayi met with us at the hotel and took us to an art gallery.  It was actually quite a sight to see, with giant chalkboards, guitars, bronze sculptures, and much more, it was fun to try things out at this museum/gallery.






She took us to a famous/popular dim sum place where we ate even more food!  Delicious.... :) 

We were filled to the brim and decided to "excerise" it off by doing some shopping at this fancy shopping mall with luxury name brands.  Window shopping is nice sometimes, isn't it?  We found a Daiso where we could actually buy stuff (did someone say Japanese dollar store?) and took a break at Dunkin' Donuts before meeting up with my Gan Die (aka godfather).

I didn't even know I had a godfather until right before I left for the trip... and dad told me I had to meet up with him when we go down south of Taiwan.  :P  I was a bit nervous meeting him, but he and his girlfriend (I just call her auntie?  I think she's his girlfriend...) just stayed with us at the luxury hotel and ate on the 9th floor.  John had to leave for Taipei to get his visa stuff done, whereas Cat and I stayed for dinner to eat Shanghai type dishes.  For dessert, we had dou-hua (soy dessert, kind of like a flan) with red bean, black sesame, and almond flavors.


The night ended early as Uncle Leon (my godfather) dropped us off at my uncle's place.  Cat and I felt sooo fat from eating all friggin' day that we decided to do some exercises in the living room while watching Date Night.... one of my favorite comedies (your pecs wanna make me kill myself and your girlfriend looks like I'm looking at a shiny jet engine...).

Cat and I calculated our trip budget- we are doing fine.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment